Monday, January 5, 2009

The Wrong Voice

I was having a conversation with my old room mate a couple weeks back. Usually when that happens we both end up dumber than when we started, but this one I think actually carried some weight. Not sure how it started...mighta been with the new Kanye album...but it doesn't matter. Either way what it came down to was our taste in music. What we look for when we determine what is good music. Something that everyone usually has an opinion about.

Pat (my room mate) and I both agreed that we liked Kanye's new album...just not for the same reasons. See Pat is of the opinion that a song's lyrics are what ultimately make a song good or bad. Whereas I feel that it's more about the actual sound.

I'm not saying lyrics don't matter at all, and I'm sure he's not saying that sound doesn't matter at all, but it seemed to me we both judge music on a two tier model. With me looking at sound first and what an artist is saying second, with Pat being vice versa.

There isn't really a right or wrong answer, but for me I just really have a problem with artists broadcasting their opinions to the masses. As sad as it is, a great deal of our population lacks the ability to think for themselves. So how do people get their opinions? From the voice of God, a.k.a. mass media. Just simply being told what to believe. There are theories upon theories out there with much evidence that back this up.

Now if you think about that and then look at many of the top of the chart hits out there. I'd being willing to bet many of the people singing or rapping an opinion about war or poverty or other issues lack the education to give a powerpoint presentation on the subject let alone be broadcasting an uneducated opinion to millions upon millions of other uneducated people.

Now I know this country is built on such ethical beliefs as freedom of speech...and I love that. I love that we all have the ability to be heard. I just wish there was some way we could make sure we're hearing something that deserves to be heard.

Music should be listened to for what it is...sounds. If you want words and to be told what to believe, do me a favor and listen to someone who has a background and read a book.

Song of the Post: American Pie - Don Mclean

O.L.D.

Credits:
Kanye West
Pat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

true words buddy