I said the WNBA player. I've played with some females that were pretty damn good (I mean I didn't play basketball in college, but I've been on some teams in my day), and these girls were nowhere near seeing interest in the WNBA. Which can only lead one to believe that the level of play in the WNBA must be a great deal better than what these girls were playing at. Which again leads me to believe, would be a level somewhat higher than that of a Division 3 male basketball player.
My friend argues, and actually he is the second friend who I have argued over this with in my day. The first being a buddy at school who I will refer to as "Butthead" (Because I know he loves shout outs...but this is my blog and I reserve the right to call you what I want). Both of these gentleman argue that it would be no contest. Males are simply stronger, faster, and more athletic. A female wouldn't be able to stop a male down in the post or off the dribble. They did however concede that some females may posess a greater shooting ability.
So this is where I leave it up to you blog readers. If you are out there, and have any kind of opinion on this...please post a comment in the comment section of this post and let me know how you feel. Oh and we also argued over who would win in a game: The WNBA champions or the Mens NCAA Division 3 National champions. So if you have a comment about that as well, feel free. To post a comment just scroll to the bottom of this post and look for a little link with a pencil next to it that says "comments."
Alls I know is I'm pretty sure Diana Taurasi would kick my ass on the court. Oh and by the way, "Butthead" actually was a Division 3 player...of average ability.
O.L.D.
Credits:
Me
My Friend
"Butthead"
WNBA
NCAA

2 comments:
I would say without question that a star WNBA player like Whalen, Parker, or Wauters would be a lot better than an average Division III player.
How do I know this? Because these are exactly the kind of players the pro women practice against.
All of the WNBA teams have male practice squads to toughen them up, and the men they play are exactly the average Division III player - or even the average Division I player, guys who couldn't make a career out of pro basketball but want to keep their hand in. Usually, they can beat the average DI players, and I'd make their odds even greater against beating the average DIII player.
As for a star WNBA player vs. an average DIII men's player, it would be no contest. The average player DIII would need the brute strength it comes from gender, because he wouldn't have the playmaking skills. These are, after all, the best women players on earth, and they've learned how to deal with height and strength and how to negate them.
I have a couple of things to say, so I will to state my comments in bulleted manner to keep the points short and concise
1. Diana Taurasi is a beast. And I mean that in the best way possible. She is the best woman basketball player of all time in my opinion and could easily take any Division 3 basketball player in the country and probably some D2 and D1 players. She plays like a man, and I think that is a compliment. Dubb you were right on point, she would defiantly take you.
2. I think this argument needs to be broken down a little further. I think it depends what you are actually talking about (i.e. 1 on 1 or a team game)
a. 1 on 1 I think it would be pretty hard for any WNBA player (outside of Taurasi) to match up with an average Division 3 player (size, speed, athletic ability, etc. always matters)
b. A team game I think would be a lot different and I think a WNBA team with a good group of players (ex. Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Candace Parker) could defiantly beat a team of average Division three players. Lets face it, woman play a more structured and fundamental game then men do, and I think that counts for a lot when playing the game of basketball the right way (in that sense, size, speed and athletic ability, will only take you so far----you have to know how to play the game)
3. I would take the woman gold medal team over any Division 3 male basketball team and probably some Division 2 teams.
4. I think that is it.
5. Dubb keep on going with your post, it is good shit.
Post a Comment