But anyway, the reason I'm writing this right now, is because I just read a line by rookie Eagles receiver Desean Jackson. It's pretty funny. In an article on http://www.philly.com/ by John Gonzalez, Mr. Gonzalez is pretty much poking fun at little Desean for failing in his attempt to act as nothing more than an innocent, humble athlete...and Jackson is quoted "Oh, yeah. When I'm out, people are noticing me, telling me how great I am, how happy they are that I'm an Eagle." Pause. "I just want to stay humble. I'm a humble guy."
...?
Instantly I started smiling. Popping right into my head was the greatest receiver without a doubt, in his own mind, to pull on a Philly jersey.
Freddie Mitchell.
The first thing I thought of was that press conference right after "First Down Freddie" made his miracle catch during a 4th and 26 in the NFC Championship game. While wearing a cowboy hat, a plaid shirt, and a bow tie that even Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz would look stupid in, he rolled up to the mic and, I believe he said something to effect of "I'm a special player. I just want to thank my hands for being so great." That day, without a pause or even anything close to a second thought, I ran right to my desktop, and under the "People I would like to meet" catergory on my Myspace page, I listed in all capitals: FREDDIE MITCHELL.
Unfortunately Freddie, as it turned out, was too good for the game of football. Too good that, in fact, no NFL team felt they were worthy to have him. Last I heard he was a substitute high school teacher somewhere. Or maybe not?
But now it appears we may have the second coming in Desean Jackson. The similarities are uncanny. Both are small, speedy receivers who double as return men. Both came out of college early. Both played their college ball in California. And best of all, both were drafted by the Eagles.
So here's hoping Desean's quote is only a glimpse of what's to come. Because Freddie...I miss you. And Dr. E...thanks for reading, I miss you too.
O.L.D.
Credits:
Philadelphia Eagles
Freddie Mitchell
Desean Jackson
Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz
http://www.philly.com/
John Gonzalez
http://www.deadspin.com/
http://www.dictionary.com/

2 comments:
It wasn't the NFC Championship where "FredEx (NFL Player)" caught that pass...it was the divisional round DUBB...geez I hate the Eagles and I even know that. Other than that, great stuff on your blog and if you are in Philly, we should hang out sometime.
Haha thanks for the clarification man. What part of Philly you from?
Post a Comment